Thursday, August 25, 2022

Day 3 - Going to ...

What are you going to do this weekend?

  • I'm going to read a book.
  • My friend and I are going to go to a movie.
  • If the weather's nice, I'm going to go to the beach.
  • If it rains, we're going to go shopping at a mall in Yokohama.
"going to" is about future plans

'be' verb + going to + verb

Future with 'going to'

  • I'm going to ...
  • You're going to ...
  • He's going to ...
  • She's going to ...
  • It's going to ...

 

 

  • We’re going to ...
  • You're going to ...
  • They’re going to ...

 

Future with 'going to' (Negative)

  • I'm not going to ...
  • You're not going to ...
  • He's not going to ...
  • She's not going to ...
  • It's not going to ...

 

 

  • We’re not going to ...
  • You're not going to ...
  • They’re not going to ...

 

Future in the past with 'going to'

  • I was going to ...
  • You were going to ...
  • He was going to ...
  • She was going to ...
  • It was going to ...

 

 

  • We were going to ...
  • You were going to ...
  • They were going to ...

 

Future in the past with 'going to'  (Negative)

  • I wasn’t going to ...
  • You weren’t going to ...
  • He wasn’t going to ...
  • She wasn’t going to ...
  • It wasn’t going to ...

 


  • We weren’t going to ...
  • You weren’t going to ...
  • They weren’t going to ...

 

Also, question forms: What are you going to ...? What were you going to ...? What is she going to ...? What were they going to ...? etc.

Example sentences:

  • We were going to go to Osaka this summer, but because of Covid, we're going to stay in Yokohama.
  • If I have time after work, I'm going to go to an izakaya. But if I have to work late, I'm not going to go out. I'm just going to go home.
Make an example conversation with a partner. How many variations of 'going to' can you use?

About vocabulary ...
  • search each vocabulary word in a sentence (use Google)
  • if you don't understand the sentence, use Google Translate
  • make your own sentences with the word; check it using Google Translate
  • to remember vocabulary, you have to practice words in context!

No comments:

Post a Comment